Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Nothing to Fear


It’s only natural to feel overwhelmed, afraid, and vulnerable. In those times, we question our strength and our ability to make it through. When trials come, our reaction is often one of fear and doubt that God can help us.
King David was no stranger to conflict or fear. His understanding of God’s strength and sovereignty did not come by pure thought, but rather, it came by experience. We see this multiple times throughout the Psalms, but specifically in Psalm 27:1-5.
The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life— 
      of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked advance against me
    to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.
One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.

When David proclaims in verse 1 that the Lord is his light and salvation, the stronghold of his life, he can make such claims only because of personal experience – times when he was forced to either lean on God or wither away in despair.
The truth of God’s strength is learned during times of vulnerability, and yes, even trials. When fear overtakes us, it is an opportunity to choose in whom we will place our trust. Will we learn to rely on ourselves or God? When we rely on God in our weakness and fear, he fills us with hope, strength, and peace.
David learned that when enemies and challenges come – our confidence comes from God alone.  Are you in agreement with David today?
When you’re afraid, take refuge in God, for He will keep you safe, strong, and whole – no matter what battles come. We have nothing to fear if God is our strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment